The Q&A Archives: Frost Date Info

Question: We just bought our first home in Southeastern Michigan. I keep reading things like plant after the first frost, etc., but since this is Michigan, how do I know when that is? How can I tell when the ground is ready to begin? Are there any sources of information available for the COMPLETE BEGINNER? Thank you! :)

Answer: Burpee provides good general information for beginning gardeners. But for detailed info about your location, I strongly suggest contacting your County Extension agent. Check directory assistance for County Extension Service, University/County Cooperative Extension Service, or simply Farm (or Farm and Home) Advisor. Their offices will be able to tell you when your last frost date is (as well as your first frost date of Fall and your growing season in days ) and when your ground is suitable for planting all kinds of vegetables and flowers.