The Q&A Archives: Fungus On Dwarf Banana

Question: I have had this Banana tree for three years now and have harvested the shoots for the last two years with no problems... BUT, now my plant seems to have developed a fungus... I need to know what I should use to save my Banana, it was growing like crazy until about two weeks ago...
Any help you can supply would be GREATLY appreciated !

Answer: If there's a fungus on the plant, I'd suspect that conditions are too moist, or air circulation is less than required. Since you're consuming the shoots, I don't think a fungicide is the answer. Banana is actually a shrub with a fleshy stem. In regions where winter temperatures get low, the entire top of the plant freezes down to soil level. It is removed and new sprouts appear in the spring. I think I'd cut back the affected parts of the plant, improve the air circulation, reduce the watering, and wait for healthy new shoots to appear.