The Q&A Archives: Midget Stock

Question: In August I purchased several small containers of what was tagged "midget stock" which resembles flock and has a very, very pleasant smell. Plus, due to health reasons I never had an opportunity to plant them...instead I set them (small container and all) in a flower pot sitting near my front door. Occasionally I would water them and I think I may have ferterlized them 1/2. Believe-it-or-not, they've surrived and I love them. What I want to know is that the correct name for them and where could I find these?

Answer: I think you may have some type of Matthiola incana, commonly called "stock." "Ten Week Stock" is a smaller form of the plant and might well have been labeled "midget." Seed is available from Thompson &
Morgan, Seedsman, or ph#
800/274-7333). Enjoy the perfume!