The Q&A Archives: Suggestions For 15 Inch Annuals For Mostly Sunny And Sometimes Dry Garden

Question: Can you give me some ideas on names of annual flowers I can grow easily in mostly sunny soil. The soil dries out fast because of the constant sun so they'd have to be a variety that will tolerate dry conditions at times. About 8-20" tall. I would want it to be a variey that blooms well and doesn't get "leggy" such as petunias. Thank you.

Answer: Here are some hot sun annuals within that height range: "Profusion" zinnia, "Patriot Rainbow" lantana, Pentas, salvia "Victoria", scaevola, "Elf" tithonia, and flowering vinca. (All available through Burpee, or 800-888-1447.) When you prepare the planting area, be sure to add copious amounts of organic matter such as compost, rotted leaves, or aged stable manure and bedding. These materials will help improve the soil structure so that it will hold moisture (and air) better. You should also use an organic mulch such as shredded bark to help conserve soil moisture and moderate its temperature when the weatehr turns hot. Finally, when you water be sure to water deeply (dig down into the soil to see how effective you watering really is) about every five days or so rather than sprinkling lightly every day.