The Q&A Archives: Growing Sweet Peas In A Greenhouse.

Question: I work in the greenhouse for the Biology dept. of an area University. I am hoping to plant sweet peas, but am concerned that they will not bloom or smell as sweet as they would if they had been grown in the outdoors. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: The bloom and fragrance would be determined primarily by the variety you select to grow and they will of course last longer if you can keep them cool and growing under the type of conditions they prefer. Sometimes too the scent is in the nose of the beholder, as it were, so there is a bit of subjectivity involved. To enhance the blooms, though, you might try using compost tea and/or other sources of micronutrients as a supplement to your basic fertilizing regime.