The Q&A Archives: Controlling Small Green Worms on Petunias

Question: For the past two summers my Purple Wave' petunias and marigolds have been attacked by small green worms or caterpillars and while I have been able to keep damage down by trying different pesticides, I cannot seem to get rid of them. They do not showup until mid-summer and are voracious. Any suggestions ? Marie Fisher Nashua, NH

Answer: It's hard to say what the small green worms are in your petunias and marigolds. You can try to spray a non-toxic spray such as insecticidal soap, Neem oil or pyrethrum on the plants at first sign of the caterpillar to control them. Amend the soil withcompost, interplant your flowers with other plants and keep the plants healthy with feedings and waterings to keep the plants as vigorous as possible.