The Q&A Archives: Rejuvenating a Damaged Pin Oak

Question: I have a pin oak tree that has lost its leader branch or tip. It looks as if the tree has a flat top. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I should or can do to get a tip or leader branch to grow again? Thomas Gawel Hammond, IN

Answer: It depends on how the pin oak leader died. If it was physical damage such as lightning, wind, snow.... then the tree is probably okay. Just clean up the broken area by creating a clean wound. If it died because of disease or insect, then the whole treemay be at risk. Check for any signs of further damage and then contact your local County Extension Agent(219-465-3555) for specific diagnosis. Unfortunately, the central leader probably won't grow back as strong as the original on your pin oak.