The Q&A Archives: Damage To African Violet Roots

Question: Recently I transplanted my African Violet into a larger pot. Almost immediately, my plant's leaves and flowers began to wilt. I think this may be because I accidentally tore out some of its roots when I repotted it. Am I accurate in assuming that the damaged roots are the reason the plant is doing poorly? If so, what can I do to save my plant?

Answer: If your plant was healthy prior to the move, it's probably just suffering a little transplanting shock and should snap out of it on its own. Continue to give it the same care you gave it prior to the move and it will recover in time.

Next time you need to repot, soak the pot in a bowl of water the day before the planned move. Allow to drain. The next day repot your plant in fresh potting soil. Fully saturated soil will hold together and come out of the pot all in one piece, with little damage to the roots.