The Q&A Archives: House Plant Vacation Care

Question: When on vacation, I lower my home temperature to around 55 degrees F. Neighbors water my plants. Is the lower temperature injurious in any way?

Answer: The answer would depend on what you are growing. The plant growth may slow down at the lower temperature so they may need a bit less water, but apart from that I suspect it should be okay for most plants. Some commonly grown plants you might be concerned about, however: African violet, aluminum plant, caladium, corn plant, episcia, false aralia, flaming sword, florist's gloxinia, anthurium, dracaena, ming aralia, peace lily, hoya, zebra plant. These do better with a minimum of 65 degrees F, although in my experience most of them will survive temperatures a bit lower than that at least for a short time.