The Q&A Archives: Perennial For Sandy Soil

Question: I have a small strip of soil (12" x 36") next to my kids' sandbox and I would like to grow some perennials there. However, since they spill sand out of the box, the plant would have to be tolerant of sandy soil. The area is also very sunny. I would also like a plant with minimal or no flowers so that bees don't hover there during the summer while the children are playing. What plant would meet all those conditions?

Answer: Unfortunately, I can't think of a perennial that would do all of those things. Every plant flowers sooner or later and could attract bees. You might consider using some attractive paver stones for the next few years until the sandbox is outgrown, then try strawberries, creeping thyme, or bearded iris in that spot.