The Q&A Archives: Chestnuts From Seed

Question: My Grandfather had some of the most beautiful chestnut trees and I want to start some of his chestnut tree seeds to have something to remember him by. I have about 75 fresh seeds from his trees. How do I go about starting them?

Answer: With 75 seeds you have the ability to grow 75 trees. What a great tribute to your Grandfather! Seeds of Castanea (chestnut)need a cold treatment after harvesting to complete the dormancy process before they will germinate. You can put them in the refrigerator for 3-4 months to help them accomplish their maturation. After the cold treatment, soak the seeds for 48 hours in warm water, then sow by burying each 1"-2" deep, 3"-4" apart in moisten potting soil, or outdoors in trenches of soil amended with organic matter. Keep the seedbed moist and little chestnut trees should sprout within a few weeks to a few months of planting.