The Q&A Archives: Moisture Giving

Question: I live in Massachusetts and the winters here being so cold, the air is very dry in the house. We are constantly scratching from dry skin. We run a humidifier to help with moisture, however, I thought I read somewhere that there were indoor plants, maybe a fern or something like that, that gave off natural moisture back into the air. Do you think you could give me some names of some plants that would be helpful in this regard?

Answer: Unfortunately, while plants do transpire, the vast majority suffer from the dry air during the heating season and in fact often need added humidity as much or more than people do! Houseplants can add to the humidity in a room if they are misted often, if they are set on a pebble tray filled with water, and by losing moisture from the potting soil but this is all due to evaporation rather than something special about the plants.