The Q&A Archives: Bleeding Hearts

Question: Can bleeding hearts be grown in a container? If so, is there a guide line on how to determine the size? Sorry this is a simplistic question, but I have just recently taken up gardening and must do most of it in conatiners.

Answer: I'm glad you asked - asking questions is the easiest way to learn! Bleeding Heart (Dicentra) is a perennial plant. The foliage and stems die down during the winter months, but the roots will produce new sprouts each spring. The plants will eventually grow about 3' high with many stems per plant. I'd grow one or two plants in a container that's about 12" deep and 10"-12" wide. Fill it with potting soil, plant the roots (or sow the seeds), then water to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet. Your Bleeding Heart will adapt well to container growing and reward you with delightful little blooms from early spring through mid-summer.