The Q&A Archives: "veronica" Plant

Question: Does the perennial Veronica plant that is offered in your online catalog spread uncontrollably, or is it possible to keep it confined to an area? I noticed several questions from people asking how to remove a weed called Veronica from their lawns, and I do not want this plant to spread into the grass which surrounds my garden.

Answer: The upright growing varieties of veronica grown as perennials do not spread the way the weed commonly known as veronica spreads. Some of the named spreading varieties (Veronica repens) sold as ornamental perennials will spread in the garden, but not at the same lightning speed. Veronica "Goodness Grows" is an exceptionally well behaved and desirable perennial plant! In my experience it does not spread at all beyond its mature size.