The Q&A Archives: Mildew On Monarda

Question: I have several Monarda on the east side of my home. Late last summer they developed grey leaves and began to look sickly. Can I spray them with the same fruit tree spray I use to control a similar problem on nearby lilacs? The lilacs have been doing great since I started spraying.

Answer: Monarda are prone to mildew and this sounds like the problem you are describing. Some steps you might try to limit the mildew are to site the plant and thin it to encourage better air circulation, avoid wetting the leaves when you water, especially if you water at night, and try some of the newer "mildew resistant" varieties. Should you opt to spray it, I would suggest you contact your County Extension (652-3370) for the most up to date recommendation on what to use.