The Q&A Archives: Star Jasmine

Question: I have a star jasmine plant on my sun porch that was blooming when I got it but has not bloomed again in the 2 years that I have had it. How can I get it to bloom again?

Answer: This plant (Jasminum nitidum) is a rather large vine which flowers primarily during the summer. As a houseplant it requires average to warm temperatures and full sun; it benefits from summering outdoors and needs an evenly moist, rich soil. In my experience the limiting factor for blooms is usually lack of light and a short growing season in the north. You might try supplemental lighting to try to keep in more vigorous growth for a longer period each year and see if that helps it build enough strength to bloom. Also be careful not to provide it with an excess of nitrogen, especially during the winter when its growth naturally slows down.