The Q&A Archives: Causes for Wilting Honey Suckle

Question: I have a large honey suckle bush in partial shade. After it blooms for the first time it "withers and wilts" at the tips of all the branches. What is the problem and is there a non-toxic way of dealing with it? Thanks! John Power Chicago, IL

Answer: It's hard to say what's causing the wilting of your honeysuckle. There are wilt diseases in the soil that can effect the new growth and cause it to die, but without seeing the damage and the soil, it's hard to say for sure if that's the problem. I'd make sure the soil is well drained and if the plant is movable, consider moving it to another site in full sun. Contact your Cooperative Extension Service (312-737-1178) to see if they can positively identify the disease.