The Q&A Archives: Strawberries After Tomatoes Or Potatoes?

Question: I have very limited garden space, but want to try a strawberry patch this year. Why can't I put them in a spot that used to host tomatoes or potatoes? What's likely to happen if I just give it a try?

Answer: These plants are affected by diseases that could be spread back and forth from year to year and crop to crop if they are grown in the same place. To reduce the chances of infection, the crops really should be rotated -- this would include potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant as well as the strawberries. (Strawberries may be grown for several years in the same place however since a patch can be fairly long lived if well cared for.) In addition to helping control pests and diseases rotation can also help keep your soil healthy since different crops use and deplete the soil in different ways. Rotation can be done, even with a small garden, if you plan carefully and keep track of what you have grown where for the past three or four years.