The Q&A Archives: Remove Dome Over Seeds

Question: I have started seeds in containers, the container has a dome to keep in heat. I'Im wondering when the seeds start to sprout, should I keep the dome on even if the rest of the seeds have not sprouted yet or remove it?

Answer: You have asked a good question. In many cases a good proportion of the seeds of one type will sprout within hours of each other so it is not really a problem. It is important to remove the cover to allow good air circulation as soon as possible and to put the seedlings under bright light immediately. If you have several types of seed in the dome and they are sprouting at different intervals, you my have to remove some of the seed pans and leave the others covered. Alternatively you can cover each pan individually with plastic wrap, tent it a bit as they begin to germinate and then remove the wrap entirely when at least half of them have sprouted.