The Q&A Archives: Moldy Peat Pots

Question: I've started quite a few flats of various seeds. All have been moved into peat pots with real soil and are doing fine. I have one problem. I looked on the bottom of the pots the other night (to pour water into the trays, and noticed MOLD growing on the pots. Will this harm the plants when I actually transplant them outside? Should I take them out of the peat pots? That's why I bought peat pots, so I could actually plant them

Answer: The mold is growing on the peat pots due to the wetness and as long as the growth of the plant's isn't effected, I wouldn't worry about it. You can scrape a little off if you like or try bottom watering and flooding the mold, but the health of the plants is most important and if they aren't suffering, you shouldn't!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"