The Q&A Archives: Pruning Shrubs

Question: My holly and boxwood shrubs in the front of my house are very overgrown. When is the best time for a drastic pruning and how is the best way to do it.

Answer: Katherine,

Late winter just prior to the start of spring growth is a good time to start the process of reclaiming an overgrown shrub. Cut it back to about a foot or more shorter than the height you want it to be maintained at. In the spring is will begin to regrow vigorously. As it regrows, trim it back to 6-8 inches above the original cuts. Repeat this process every few weeks cutting a bit further out to develop a full, dense hedge of growth at the height or size you desire.

Thanks for the question. Please feel free to stop in again with another question any time we can help!