The Q&A Archives: Germinating Pumpkin Seeds

Question: On March 15th, I planted the two seeds which were in the packet of Burpee Prizewinner Hybrid Pumpkin. It has now been approximately 17 days and still....nothing. All my other seeds have germinated. Was I supposed to do anything special for the pumpkinseeds? Dineen Cortesi Wappingers Falls, NY

Answer: The pumpkin seeds should have germinated by now. There are a few possibilities. Could you have overwatered the seeds? This could have caused them to rot before they could germinate. There is also the chance that the seed is bad. I would suggest testing the rest in the packet for viability by folding them up in a few layers of moist paper towel. Keep them moist by spritzing with warm water once a day or so. If they are viable they should sprout in a week or so. At this point you can carefully plant them in peat pots ( or anything that you can later plant directly into the garden without disturbing the seedlings) and then into the garden after all danger of frost. If none of them germinate, you probably do have bad seeds. If this is the case,give us a call and we will gladly replace them.