The Q&A Archives: Shady Climbing Flowering Vine For Zone 3

Question: I have a lattice fence surrounding my dog kennel. It is about a foot away from the dogs as they enter and exit the kennel through a window in the garage. Therefore, I am not worried about them chewing the vines as they cannot reach them. I just want to have something covering the lattice fence.

I would like a flowering vine that climbs the fence and can be in a mostly shady area. I would prefer a perennial but if you recommend one that is an annual that is prettier and that I can start from seed indoors, that would be ok too. I am in zone 3 so if it is a perennial it needs to be pretty hardy. Is there such a flowering vine?

Answer: It may be hard to find a perennial flowering vine that survives in zone 3, but some suggestions are:

Actinidia arguta - hardy kiwi
Celastrus scandens - American bittersweet
Vitis sp. - grape

Some annual vines you might have luck with are Asarina sp., Cobaea scandens or cup-and-saucer vine, and Dolichos lablab or Hyacinth Bean, sweet pea or scarlet runner bean.

Good luck!