The Q&A Archives: Plants For Deck Gardens

Question: Where can I obtain a list of, and eventually purchase, vegetable plants that are successful in potted gardens?
I would like to grow a garden on my patio in pots and containers and I already have the information on obtaining the pots and containers but am unable to locate a source for plants that excel in this type of environment.

Answer: The book "Container Gardening for Dummies" by Bill Marken, ISBN 0-7645-5057-8, Dummy Press, includes suggested varieties for container vegetable gardens, as well as suggestions for evaluating plants with an eye towards container culture. The book also covers soil mixes and other helpful aspects of container gardening. With a little experimentation you will find that many of the traditional tomatoes, peppers, greens, carrots, and bush, dwarf or space-saver forms of squashes as well as herbs will grow quite well in large containers such as half barrels.