The Q&A Archives: Grapes for Las Vegas Area

Question: Could you please tell me when to plant grapevines and what type of grapes grow in this area?

Answer: I believe you can plant your vines as late as March in your area. According to the Sunset Western Garden Book, varieties that are well suited to your area include:
American varieties (like 'Concord' -- "slipskin"): 'Black Spanish', 'Brilliant', 'Canadice', 'Champanel', 'Golden Muscat'
Eruopean Varieties (wine-type, tight skin grapes): 'Black Monukka', 'Cardinal', 'Italia', 'Muscat', 'Perlette', 'Ruby Seedless'. If you can find a nursery in your area that sells grape stock, purchase it, since it will be the best adapted to your garden conditions.

Your Cooperative Extension Office has a bulletin titled "Pruning and Training Grapes in Southern Nevada," and you'll surely need that for maintaining your grapes. You can order a free copy via the Nevada Extension Web site at Enjoy!