The Q&A Archives: Wilting Bleeding Heart

Question: I planted a bleeding heart vine by my front porch which gets a lot of shade (faces north). Since the beginning of winter it has dropped almost all of its leaves and looks awful. What leaves are left are yellowing. Is something wrong with the plant or is this normal for this type of vine(i.e. does it go dormant or something). Is there anything I can do with it so it will come back again in the spring or summer?

Answer: Dicentra (Bleeding Heart) puts on quite a show during the spring and early summer months. The foliage and stems generally yellow and die down during the autumn and winter. If your plant still has some foliage, I'd say your weather has been quite mild this year. You can cut the stems down to ground level now. In the spring new stems and foliage will appear, along with those delicate heart-shaped blossoms.