The Q&A Archives: Chinese Bitter Melon

Question: I am interested in growing Chinese Bitter Gourd. In previous years I grew 'Hybrid High Moon' but, unfortunately, the source informed that they are not carrying the seed this year. Do you know the address of any other company who carries the seeds of bitter gourd? And, except for only one one season, I have not gotten good yields. What is the right right cultural method for growing this plant?

Answer: I found the Chinese bitter melon 'High Moon' in the Territorial Seed Co. catalog. (phone no. 541-942-9547, web site: This plant is also sometimes called balsam pear.

Most squash-family vegetables are heat lovers, so anything you can do to help warm the soil in the spring, such as building raised beds or laying down black plastic, can give them a good start. Also, growing the vines on a trellis can help control disease.