The Q&A Archives: Epaulette Tree

Question: Last autumn I bought an Epaulette Tree (Pterostyrax Hispida) from the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden's plant sale located in Richmond. I cannot find any information about the height, growing habits etc. Help!

Answer: Pterostyrax hispida is also known as the Fragrant Epaulettetree. It's a round-headed small tree, growing 20'-30' at maturity. The leaves are medium-coarse, bright green above and silvery green beneath. Fragrant white flowers are 5"-10" long, 2"-3" wide, and appear in May or June. The tree thrives in well-drained, acidic soil, and full sun. It will grow in partial shade but flowering will be less spectacular. Your tree is hardy in zones 4-8. It's an unusual plant, and difficult to find, so consider yourself lucky!