The Q&A Archives: Beans From England

Question: A guy from England sent me 17 different varieties of beans. He included the names, but I need more information on how to grow them. some of the names included Cherokee Trail of Tears, Blue Coco, selma Zebra, Crimson Flowered, Gloster Bounty, and daniles defiance. If you could help me on any of these.

Answer: These are probably all different varietis of Phaseolus vulgaris; you might however verify that they are all intended for use as dry beans rather than for fresh eating. I would expect them to be treated the same as any other bush bean: after the last spring frost, plant them in full sun in well drained soil with a pH above 6.0. For dry beans, expect to wait approximately 90 to 105 days for harvest, depending on variety. Enjoy!