The Q&A Archives: Damaged Bark Cherry Bushes

Question: I have a Hansen cherry bush that the rabbits chewed the bark off of. Will they come back and produce fruit or do I just dig them out and throw away? The bushes are about 3 years old. Dale C. Byer Watertown, SD

Answer: How much of the bark did the rabbits chew off? If they girdled the trunks (that is, removed the bark in a complete circle around the main trunk) there is probably little hope for you bushes, I'm sorry to say. If you can afford the space, I would leave the damaged trees in place (you'll know soon enough if they are going to survive) and plant some new ones. (Wrap the trunks with hardware cloth or plastic tree guards to discourage the rabbits from doing the same to your new trees.) I suggest leaving the damaged ones in place because, if the bark is in tact enough to allow transport from the roots to the leaves and back, they could survive. Again, wrap the trunks to prevent further damage.