The Q&A Archives: Israeli Melon Seeds

Question: Last September I was in Green River, Utah, where they grow a lot of specialty melons, canteloupes, etc. I was especially taken by a very delicious melon they called an "Israeli" melon. It was somewhat larger than a regular muskmelon, with a netted rind on the outside. The fruit was yellowish, tender, and much sweeter than muskmelon.

I would like to find seeds for this type of melon, but I cannot even find it listed in any of the seed catalogs I get. Can you tell me where I can find some?

Answer: Israeli melon is a term for several different cultivars, grown in the Middle East, that are sweet and perfumed. Two sources for these melons are Cook's Garden, 800-457-9703, and Seeds of Change, 888-762-7333. Cook's Garden carries 'Galia' and Seeds of Change carries 'HaOgen'. Good luck!