The Q&A Archives: Low-Maintenance Flowering Plants

Question: I am in charge of the flowers for our condominium and need somthing that requires very little care once it is in the ground. We do have a sprinkling system, good light (ranges from sunny to some shade with lots of shade on the north side. I am lookingfor something that will flower well but not require a lot of care. Thanks. Kay Young Syracuse, IN

Answer: There are many flowers that meet your requirements. The best for all summer flowering are annuals. Marigolds are very self sufficient, as are zinnia, portulaca, ageratum, strawflowers and Xeranthemum (both of which can also be dried quite easily), cleome ("spider plant"), dianthus ("pinks"), aster, and verbena. Begonia, impatiens, coleus, polka-dot plant and lobelia will do well in partial sun or full shade. The minimum maintenance should be weed control and a eye to watering. Mulch then with a 4-6" layer of bark once they are established to help with weed control and keeping the soil moist. Be sure that your sprinkler system is reaching all of the plants. Have fun!