The Q&A Archives: Salt Effect On Roses

Question: I am planning to put a split rail fence along the front of my property and want to plant roses along it. However, the road is salted in the winter and I was wondering how road salt would affect the growth, or would it kill them?
I do not wish any grass to grow in the area and would take care of that. Are there any other shrubs that could withstand road salt if the roses were found unsuitable?

Answer: Rugosa roses are tolerant of salt (they even survive at the beach) but I would be cautious about making extensive plantings in an area subject to heavy road salt and spray. You will find a listing of comparative shrub resistances to salt in a table published by the University of nebraska as well as a discussion of the different salts used. You might find that a more solid fence with plantings protected inside it is a less risky approach.