The Q&A Archives: Brown Dry Tips On Forced Bulbs

Question: I have forced some bulbs quite nicely this winter. One thing is happening that I can't find in your question library; The tips of the leaves and the bulb shoots are turning brown/yellow. Any ideas why this might be happening.

Answer: Two frequent reasons this can happen is if the tips are exposed to too low or too high a temperature or if they are allowed to become overly dry. They should not dry out during their cold storage period. If you use a frost free refrigerator it may be too dry for them and in this case you may need to water them and possibly keep them in a perforated plastic bag to maintain soil moisture. When you bring the pots into "warmer" temperatures and bright light, they should actually be kept on the cool side at say about 55 degrees!