The Q&A Archives: Street Trees

Question: I'm the Tree Coordinator in my town, we received a grant to purchase trees for our downtown area. I would like a list of trees that would be good for street trees.

Answer: Best selections include those that are relatively pest-free, require little maintenance, and with root systems that won't interfere with sidewalks and streets.

Trees that perform well in confined root spaces include Ash, Crabapple, Regal Elm, Chinese Elm, male Ginkgo, Hackberry, thornless Hawthorns, Honeylocust, Little Leaf Linden, Amur Maple, Norway Maple, Tartarian Maple, Callery Pear, London Planetree and Tower Poplar.

You can obtain additional information from American Forestry Association, PO Box 2000, Washington, D.C. 20013. Phone (202) 667-3300.