The Q&A Archives: Gerbera Daisy in California

Question: I live in southern California, and I can't seem to grow Gerbera daisies. Have you any tips as to what type of fertilizer to use? Does they require full sun? Any information will be appreciated.

Answer: Gerbera jamesonii or Transvaal daisy is native to South Africa. They thrive in full sun and rich soil with excellent drainage. They prefer a thorough watering and then dry soil, followed by a flooding again. The plants need frequent feeding during the growing season and will produce new leaves and flowers if the old leaves and flowers are pinched off regularly. You can supply the nutrients they need by diluting liquid fertilizer to half-strength and watering the plants with it every 2-3 weeks during the growing season. Good luck with your Gerbera!