The Q&A Archives: Moss In Lawn

Question: Last year the lawn looked okay. This winter, moss has taken over all of our acre of lawn.(fun to mow). I can't afford to replace grass. What can I feed it to kill moss but keep alive the grass. Sometimes the horses get loose and like to graze, so whatever it is I hope it won't effect the horses.

Answer: Moss is usually a symptom of several problems, including poor drainage, too much shade, low fertility, compacted soil, and acid soil. If you can correct these problems, and put your lawn on a regular feeding schedule, you'll have fewer moss problems. Start fertilizing in April with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK (the 3 numbers on the bag of fertilizer). Apply one pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn per year. Feed again in June, September and late November or early December. Instead of using chemical moss killers, just rake and reseed any mossy areas in your lawn. If your grass is healthy, it will crowd out the moss in the future.