The Q&A Archives: Seed Starting

Question: I have just bought some Colorado Blue Spruce seeds. I am going to start them in containers. I was wondering if they are hard to grow from seeds and how long will the seed take to germinate and to start growing. I know the trees grow about one foot a year once established; how long will it take for the seedling to start growing well?

Answer: In most instances home gardeners find it most successful to plant the seeds outdoors in the ground and allow nature to provide the necessary conditions for germination. For Colorado Blue Spruce (especially if the seed is not necessarily fresh) however you might try chilling the seed for about three months (place it with barely damp milled sphagnum peat moss in a plastic bag in the refrigerator) and then planting it at a soil temperature of about 70 degrees. Germination may be erratic and slow, however. Good luck with your project!