The Q&A Archives: Aucuba Japonica

Question: I am trying to find information on the Acuba japonica, gold-dust plant. I can't seem to find it in any of my gardening books. How does it grow ? I do know that it is a shade loving shrub. Do you have any more information ?

Answer: Aucuba japonica, or Japanese Aucuba, is native to the Himalayas and Japan. The standard green leafed varieties grow at a moderate rate to a mature height of 6'-10', but can be kept lower by pruning. The variegated varieties are slower growing and have dark green leaves spotted with yellow. 'Sulphur' and 'Variegata' are two commonly grown "gold dust" plants.

Aucuba is tolerant of a wide range of soils but thrives in rich soil. It requires shade from hot sun and accepts deep shade. It even competes successfully with tree roots, making Aucuba a terrific plant for nearly any landscape.