The Q&A Archives: Deterring Pests from Eating Seeds

Question: I have begun planting various flowers seeds in my flower garden and everytime I come back home there are little holes every now and then where I have planted seeds. I don't know if the birds are eating my seeds or what but is there anything I can getto keep whatever pest is eating my seeds to stop? Thank you. Linda Melvin Kettering, OH

Answer: Birds will actually eat seeds as well as mice, chipmunks and certain beetles.... so take your pick. If the flowers aren't germinating within 10-14 days (for most flowers), then I think something's eaten them. You can try again, laying a floating row cover (Reemay) over the beds to prevent any other critters from bothering your seeds. Remove the cover once the plants have true leaves. (4-6 leaves).