The Q&A Archives: Gophers In The Garden

Question: I have gophers in my garden and I would like to know if there is a way to keep them out for good. I want to start planting vegetables now so I will have something come spring. Is there any way to do this soon? My grandma said if you put a fishs head in each of the holes that would do the trick, do you know?

Answer: Repelling with rotten fish is just one of dozens of reported remedies for getting rid of gophers. Nothing really works except trapping the creatures. Gophers and moles feed on grubs and other insects in the soil. As long as you have healthy soil teaming with beneficial insects and their larvae, you'll have the potential for attracting gophers. To get rid of gophers, invest in a scissors-type gopher trap, and set it carefully - as often as necessary to catch and kill the entire population. Once you've gotten rid of the gophers, encourage your neighbors to do the same. If it's any consolation, gophers in your yard are a compliment to your skills as a gardener. They prefer rich, moist, organic soil teeming with insects!