The Q&A Archives: Bursting Seed Pods

Question: I'm looking for a flowering plant for my garden that has a small seed pod that "bursts" when touched. My departed grandmother loved her flowers and had them in her garden when I was a little girl. I would love to share them with my children and grandchildren. I remember being fasinated with this plant. Somewhere I read about a plant that acts like the one I'm looking for. Could the "Bladder Seinna" be what I'm looking for? Please help!

Answer: The plant you describe sounds like Touch-Me-Not which is a common name for Impatiens balsamina, an old-fashioned plant, also known as garden balsam. It's perennialin mild-winter regions, and it self-seeds readily. Burpee offers seeds for it in the Heirloom Catalog. You may order a catalog at the website or call 1-800-888-1447 to verify current availability.