The Q&A Archives: Lavender

Question: My future daughter-in-law wants to give lavender pots as favors at her wedding. She thinks lavender means "love". Is this correct. If not, what flower signifies love? I will have to pot 125 of these so I need your help!

Answer: The most refined versions of the "language of flowers" date back to Victorian times and tussie-mussies and over the years and depending on who you ask it seems that the meanings may shift around a bit. Here are several versions for you to consider.

The first seems fairly representative of modern day interpretations and it lists lavender for "acknowledgement";

the second is from a wedding related business and it lists lavender for "devotion";

this last is reprinted from Collier's Cyclopedia of Commercial and Social Information and Treasury of
Useful and Entertaining Knowledge, compiled by Nugent Robinson. P.F. Collier, 1882 and it lists lavender for "distrust".

So you see, the meanings depend on who you ask and possibly how firmly you believe in this somewhat contrived language -- there really isn't a hard and fast answer to your question.