The Q&A Archives: Cold Hardiness of Blaze' Climbing Roses

Question: I live in Northern Minnesota in lake and woods country. I am interested in the climbing roses that you show on page 26 of your catalog- -specifically Blaze'. Can I grow such a rose in this climate? Also would they bloom this year and when would I plant them? I have a long white picket fence --about 55 feet in total length so how many plants would that require? My soil along the fence is only fair and the sun is morning sun. Climbing red roses on a picket fence is a dream I've had for years. Thank you! Kathy Simmons Bemidji, MN

Answer: I'm sorry to say, but 'Blaze' rose will not survive in Northern Minnesota. But there is a series of roses called the Canadian series, developed in Ottawa, that are hardy in the far north. One red climber from that series is called 'John Cabot'. Itand many others are available through, Royall River Roses 70 New Gloucester Rd. No Yarmouth, ME 04097 800-820-5830