The Q&A Archives: Source for 16-4-2 Rose Fertilizer

Question: The NGA has edited a wonderful book entitled "Roses For Dummies" whose information even experienced rosarians can benefit from. On page 226 you mention a "gung-ho fertilizer" program used by a trophy winner. This program includes a liquid fertilizer with a 16-4-2 ratio. I have looked in local garden stores with no luck. Where can this be found? I have a David Austin rose bush which, for the last 2 summers has done nothing but grow long gangly canes which produce no buds. Should I dig it up and assume it has gone 'wild"? Please advise. Catherine Wadhams Ann Arbor, MI

Answer: Thanks for the kind words about our book. The 16-4-2 fertilizer or something roughly equivalent, should be available through Mills Plant Food, 1-800-845-2325. Your David Austin rose may have lost it's graft union and the rootstock is now appearing. If it's in full sun, well drained soil and you still have no flowers, I'd say that's probably what happened and you should dig it out and try again.