The Q&A Archives: Starting Seeds in Flourescent Light

Question: I am starting several different types of vegetables and flowers in a basement room which has 2 southwest facing windows. I have one 4-foot flourescent light on all of the time and keep the room between 65 and 70 degrees. Is this appropriate light and temperature for starting the seeds if I take them out during the day? And do you know which zone I am in here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Jeffrey J. Verry North Norwich, NY

Answer: The temperature and amount of light is fine but put your lights on a timer so the plants can have a rest. Twelve hours of light and 12 hours of dark are good and keep the lights close to the seedlings. Don't take your young seedlings outside until alldanger of frost is past. You are in zone 5 so that would be after May 20th.