The Q&A Archives: Dieffenbachia or 'Tropic Marianne'

Question: Today I bought a plant named Dieffenbachia or 'Tropic Marianne', the only tips that came with it were to water until the water drains out, and not to water again until soil is dry. I really want to take care of this plant, and need some tips on how to do so.

Answer: Dieffenbachia is also called Dumb Cane. The preferred watering technique for this plant is to water it very well (drench) and then let it dry somewhat -- so the surface of the sil is dry -- before you water it again. The plant should not wilt between waterings, though. Give your plant a bright location but no direct sun; locate it in the middle of a brightly lit room, or against a wall next to but not in front of a window. It will also tolerate fairly low light although it will not grow as fast. Fertilize once a month with a liquid fertilizer for foliage houseplants according to the label instructions and repot when necessary using a rich potting mix