The Q&A Archives: Dangers of Transplanting Recently Planting Thymes

Question: Last summer I planted several species of thymes on a bank. All of the plants are doing well except my two silver thyme plants. The center of the plant appears to be dead but the outer part of the plant is living. One book recommended replanting. I wonder if I could divide the plant. Also should I divide the other plants or leave them alone to grow larger? What is your recommendation? Caroline Butler Marietta, OH

Answer: Since you just planted the thymes last year, I'd leave them alone. It's taken them a year just to establish roots. They will probably start putting on lots of new growth this year. Leave the silver thyme alone and don't divide it yet also. Watch it this year. Remember...transplanting always destroys roots and sets the plant back. Give it some time.