The Q&A Archives: Dieffenbachia Wilting Leaves

Question: Some leaves on my dieffenbachia have just plain died, and some have a half circle dead spot on the edge. Is it possible this could be from not enough water? It sits in front of a south window so light should not be a problem, I see no evidence of mites. Yet, it has new leaves starting.

Answer: Dieffenbachia likes medium light, so I think the dead spots on the leaves are sunburn. I'd move the plant. A good place would be in front of an east window, where it would get a little morning sun, then light but no direct sun for the rest of the day. The plant can adapt to lower light levels, like in a north window or in a bright room but away from the windows. It will tolerate brighter light, but full sun in a south window might be too much for it.