The Q&A Archives: Seed Starting

Question: I'm in zone 6 and I want to know when I should start my seeds. I was planning mostly on vegatables like peppers and tomatoes. This is my first time with a garden so I'm very new at this. When is the estimated last frost in my region?

Answer: The average last frost date for your area is about mid-April so you can begin sowing seeds indoors the first or second week of March for tomatoes and peppers. These warm-season plants can go outdoors after the soil and air temperature warms. Seeds will sprout in 7-14 days and they generally take 6-8 weeks to grow to transplanting size. Started within the next 3 or 4 weeks, they'll be ready for transplant outdoors in late May.

Tomato and pepper seeds germinate best in temperatures of 75F-90F so plan on providing a warm spot, or using heat cables.

Good luck with your new garden!